We all can have those days, where we feel like everything is going wrong.
Today, we’d like to offer you 6 easy ways you can uplift your mood, from Michelle at My Wellness Academy.
Have you ever felt like you just got up on the wrong side of the bed? Or maybe you started out the day great, but then something happened that spoiled it for you. You might be thinking that the day is shot. But you don’t have to let that ruin your whole day!
We have a saying
“turn your frown upside down”
in our house, when someone is not happy. I’m not sure where it started, but it’s hubby’s favourite saying when anyone is doing anything less than smiling. And.. if that doesn’t work we get “tortured” with his “happy, happy, joy, joy” song, so frowns definitely don’t stay for long.
The good news is, you can choose to stay in the mood you’re in or you can choose to make the most of your day by quickly turning things around. It’s really all up to you!
Luckily, often you can uplift your mood – without drugs or other substances – just as quickly as it went downhill.
Try these methods to turn your day around:
1. Find something to fix. Do you have some household chores that can be done? Is a tap leaking in the kitchen or bathroom? Physical activity combined with fixing something around you can be a powerful way to lift your spirits.
* Whether you fix a broken door handle, leaking faucet, or sew on a button, these simple fixes matter. They’re distracting, easy, and fulfilling at the same time.
* Even changing a lightbulb can make you feel accomplished and boost your mood quickly.
2. Reach out to an old friend. Talking with an old friend can bring back positive memories. Get in touch with a friend online or over the phone.
* Catch up with them and talk about your past. Relive some of the memories you had together.
3. Cross something off your to-do list. A long to-do list can feel intimidating and weigh you down. Try to cross off at least one thing on the list and be proud of what you’ve done.
* Start by picking the easiest and fastest task on the list. Finish it quickly.
* Then, cross off the task with a bold marker or pen. This physical act can help boost your mood.
4. Watch a comedy. Do you have a favourite funny movie that always makes you feel better?
* Consider having a comedy night at home. Turn on your favourite movie or TV show and relax. Turn it into a real movie night with fresh popcorn and dimmed lights.
* Turn your movie night into a date night with your partner or share the movie with a friend.
5. Spend time with pets. Research studies have shown that simply petting a cat can calm you down and make you feel better.
* Take your dog for a walk at a local park or around the neighbourhood.
* Spend time cuddling with your cat and rubbing its stomach.
* Pets make wonderful listeners. Talk to your pets and forget your troubles.
* Get out your pet’s’ favourite toys and play together.
6. Change your diet. Sometimes small changes in the diet can have a big impact on your mood.
* Talk to your doctor and get tested for nutritional deficiencies. Find out if you need to take supplements such as calcium, omega-3 fatty acids, iron, folate, chromium, or vitamin D. They can all influence your mood.
* Spoil yourself with some carbohydrates or chocolate (in moderation, of course).
* Whole foods such as vegetables and fruit can also help your brain.
* Eat more fish. Salmon, sardines, tuna and other types of fish can improve your mood. Research studies show that they have omega-3s that affect the brain. They increase the levels of chemicals that make you feel happy.
* Drinking more tea is also linked to a better mood. Black, green, and other varieties of tea have been connected to happier moods. They can also help you focus and feel more alert.
You can boost your mood quickly with these tips. Try them and find your favourite method. You can make this your go-to strategy for whenever you want to uplift your mood.
We hope you find these simple ways helpful. Feel free to let us know your go-to tips on how you uplift your mood, when you’re not feeling 100%. Share yours in the comments below.
Until next week – live, laugh and love, like there is no tomorrow.